Sunday, July 15, 2012

Harrison Township Metropark to Port Huron, MI (End Leg 3)


Well we knew it would rain eventually, it was forecast for two days. Forecasted to first start before 7, then to after 8:00 then after 11:00 and finally after 1:00. We were on track to arrive at two but about 12:45 it began to rain, we covered everything Carol went below and I donned my rain jacket. It rained quite hard for 15 or 20 minutes and then again off and on for the next hour. By the time we entered the Black River the rain had stopped for a time. The top still leaks and I still get wet at the helm, but while driving in the rain I designed a new top system to provide protection without cocooning the entire bridge. I’ll talk to the canvas shop when I return.

The ride up the St. Clair River was great, nice cottages and homes on the US side and very rural on the Canadian side, hard to get used to the idea that the east side of the river is a foreign country. Country flags on both sides of the river. No bridges here linking the two sides but we did cross two ferry routes. It must be strange living across the river but with little access to the other side. I hope we get a chance to visit Canada on our longer voyage.

At the River Street Marina now for two weeks, we could not dock here last night since it was their big party celebrating the Mac race. When I first called about a slip 4 weeks ago they mentioned the Mac race and I thought how big a deal could that be they race from Chicago to Mackinaw. I did not know there is a Port Huron to Mackinaw race as well and it started yesterday noon. I guess I am from the wrong side of the peninsula.

The sun is back out and we will catch a cab at 5:00 for the train station and the Blue Water Express from Port Huron to Chicago.

Leg 4 begins July 28th around Michigan through the Mackinac Straights either down to Lake Charlevoix or across the UP to Manistique then to Washington Island.
Early morning Freighter

Houses on pilings with water front and back, no mowing

It is Sunday, we think of Mt. Pleasant a lot

Classic

The Canadian Side

Freighters are big and deserve our attention

Canadian Ferry dock

Canadian House

No comments:

Post a Comment