Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Point at Key Harbor Marina

Barnegat, NJ
Today is a non-travel day; we ordered parts for the steering cylinder from Vetus in Annapolis. There are three rebuild kits for the cylinder and I will own two of them tomorrow. Randy the parts manager, John from Jerry’s Diesel Service, and Tim from Vetus have helped a great deal and we expect our parts before noon tomorrow. Fred the manager of the Marina is the best, providing assistance and lots of local knowledge. He assured us the passageway from here on the Intercostal is fine. So tomorrow we rebuild the cylinder and install it in the boat.
Very well manufactured solid brass cylinder
I was able to do a bit of cleaning around the boat, but every time I started washing it started raining. So then I would have lunch, the sun would come out, I would start washing and it would start raining.

Things learned recently, Doug suggested tying off the anchor chain when anchoring to relieve the strain on the windless gears. Good suggestion. I learned that Hull Cleaner when properly applied needs no scrubbing, just wait a while and the stains disappear. Who da thunk!


It seems a breeze builds late in the day here today it is from the south at 10-15 knots. Now storms are rolling past and it has cooled again.

Hope to be back on the voyage later tomorrow.


Doug workin on his iPad getting Tide Tables

1 comment:

  1. Good day Carol and Dennis
    What model is the Vetus steering cylinder on your boat? I think I have the same on my boat and I need to order a rebuild kit as well. My boat is from 1972 and it's kind of hard to get some information in the internet about those old models. Many thanks for your response in advance. Happy sailing! Martin

    ReplyDelete